Monday, May 19, 2008

Confused with Asparagus

I am a little perplexed about the growth of my asparagus. I planted Purple Passion Asparagus and Jersey Knight Asparagus. Both seem to produce less than expected the first year. My first question is, "Will there be more shoots over the years?" I dug a hole about 12 inches deep, placed the asparagus with the tip up and the roots spread and covered with 6 inches of soil. Hopefully that was the correct way, since I also read that you should just lay the plants on their side... I was going to cover them with the remaining 6 inches of soil, but did not want to discourage the rest of the shoots. The next question is, "If the snails/slugs eat the tops of these plants, do they have any chance of surviving?"

2 comments:

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

Hello,
Welcome to the blog world. I love gardening also so we have alot in common. I don't remember where I bought the frog faucet at. It has been a long time ago. I love what you are doing with the Cherry trees. That will look so pretty.
I hope to visit you again real soon.
ginger

Unknown said...

I can't help you with asparagus, but I wanted to welcome you to blogging! You've rolled out the sod carpet here and it's looking good!

KJ