Monday, April 28, 2008

The Front Yard Project

Our front yard project started when the largest tree in our yard died and needed to be removed. It was our beloved olive tree, probably the largest olive tree I have ever seen. This tree was good for producing a lot of olives, for wrapping with xmas lights and for experienced tree climbers. We had a Tree Removal Service remove the tree, but elected to remove the stump ourselves. Did I mention that my husband and I are do-it-yourself-ers? Well, removing the 5-foot-wide stump may have been better left to the professionals! It wasn’t until the second stump grinder stayed at our house for 3 hours did that stump give up. If it hadn’t worked, we would have opted to let it decay naturally…it almost won. Now that the stump is sawdust (see picture above), we have decided to take the water-wise approach and landscape with drought tolerant plants--no lawn. There is actually a program in Santa Clara County that will rebate you $1.50 per square foot to plant selected drought tolerant plants. I had the paperwork done and have been qualified to participate. Next, I took my yard measurements to a local nursery to have their landscape architect design the yard with some input from us. I hope that for the small price of $150, which is credited back to you to buy plants and materials at their store, I will be given a great garden design and the names of the plants to plant. I cannot wait to see what they suggest!

No comments: